Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Stand by Your Man

I read an article the other day about being a farmer's wife. As I read through, I felt a twinge of guilt because I do not do all of the things she professed a farmer's wife should. I don't feed chickens or milk cows, I don't wake up at the crack of dawn and cook a hearty breakfast. I don't stack hay bales or drive tractors when I get off of "my job in town." However, as quickly as the guilty feeling had arisen in me it left, as I considered "if I did all of these things would that make me any better than a banker's wife or an electrician's wife?"

I hate all of the titles we give ourselves like "farmer's wife," "boy mom," or "soccer mom." Trying to make our lives seem more glamorous or worse, make them seem like we have a higher, harder calling. God has blessed me richly and I am proud that my husband is a hard worker who provides for our family. The fact that he works so hard makes me want to be a better wife (hence the twinge of guilt noted earlier!).

God did not specify in the Bible that a farmer's wife should do this and a factory worker's wife should do that. God gave us directions to follow as a WIFE. As far as God is concerned, each of us is called to the same thing--to be the best that we can be with the situations He chose to bless us with.

Proverbs 31:10-12 says "An excellent wife who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, And he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life."

Instead of making our lives and our circumstances seem more important than others, we should focus our energy on being the wife that causes her husband no evil but only good. To be the wife that he trusts. To be the wife whose husband says "you excel them all."

God has given each of us different circumstances and situations in life. But, one of our most important jobs is to stand next to our man and help him stay faithful to our Father...no matter what occupation he has chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment